I have recently taken up running. I am training for the Top of Utah Half Marathon which is at the end of August. I have always said I hated running, which is why my decision to train for this race was rather surprising...it was a rash decision. But,I'm commited now and as I've continued my training I've realized that it is more of a love, hate realationship. I don't particularly like the way I feel while I'm running. I am often aching somewhere and always hot. The latter is probably due less to running and more because of the hellish tempuratures, but, if I wasn't running, I could be inside in the A/C. I do, however, love the way I feel the rest of the time because I've been running. I feel stronger and more able. It helps me remember what I am capable of...physically and mentally. I don't like feeling wasted the whole rest of the day after a long run, nor do I like feeling exhausted and knowing there are still 4 miles to home. My favorite thing, though, are the running accessories. It was my birthday recently and Kendall got me an MP3 player. I wear it on my arm while I run. I love it, but my playlists really need some help. As much as I love Norah Jones, her music just isn't cutting it as motivating running music(I'd love to hear some good suggestions for running music if anyone has some).

I used my birthday money from parents/grandparents to buy some sweet new running shoes. They are blue, silver and white Asics Gel Stratus. They are so comfortable...worth every penny. And if anyone is looking for a good running store, Striders in Layton is great. They use this mat and a computer to do a foot analysis and find out where you put your weight and how your foot rolls to help you find the best shoe. Way cool! They also have treadmills in the store to try out your shoes. I put a picture of my shoes on here. I would include a picture of my sweet calves and quads, but I don't know how much leg is appropriate for this blog. :) j/k In the end, I am enjoying my training much more than I once thought I would. I feel like I am accomplishing something. I enjoy the challenge of running longer and farther than I ever have (even if, at this point, that is only 8 miles).

A random picture of my boys in the bath. They are both getting way too big, too fast.
9 comments:
8 miles is a lot better than I'm doing. I started running two weeks ago and I'm only up to 2 1/2 - 3 miles. Cardio wise I'm fine but my calf muscles get tired and my shins start hurting way to much. Ever had that problem? Maybe I'm not stretrching enough.
You are doing such an awesome job!! I wish I could run 8 mi right now. I'm jealous. We have lots of really good running music. Let me know when you are going to be in town and I'll burn you a cd.
Love,
Andy
You are worried about showing leg when you used the word "hellish" in your post? I think I'd be a little more worried about your potty mouth. :) Cool shoes though. I like them.
I was really proud that you used the word hellish. It made me Tuesday! Also, Slim has been into the MP3 thing (I found out after I got home from hanging out with you). He puts them on his GPS. He suggest Juice Newton, Johnny Horton, and The Flying Burrito Brothers. He has never actually run to any of these things and if I were you I wouldn't take his suggestions but those are them none the less.
Now I feel like I have to listen to Juice Norton and say bad words. I'll try to remember to tell Betsy to make you a CD
Hannah, your boys are so adorable! You look like you're having a lot of fun being a mom, and I'm super impressed that you're training for a half-marathon. That takes some serious dedication and sacrifice, especially with two little ones! Keep it up, and can't wait to hear about the run.
You've been living in northern Utah too long. I'm telling mom.
Hannah- Nothing helped me run the Provo half marathon more than Johnny Cash. Seriously- Rusty Cage by Johnny Cash carried me when I hit the wall at mile 11.
You should know that I listened to Flying Burrito Brothers, Juice Newton, and Johnny whatsit and I don't regret that I don't have any of their music. Sorry, but I'd probably just walk if I went running with that in my iPod.
On an unrelated note, there was this one time when i was angry with a girl and so I went for a run and after I had run about 8 miles in a pretty straight line, I realized it was about 1:00 in the morning and I was topless in a bad neighborhood. I held my thumb out as ran toward home for the first half mile or so until decided nobody was going to stop for me. The next day I jumped down from my top bunk and collapsed in some pretty agonizing pain not dissimilar to what you experienced when you walked down the stairs after your race. It was funny later but hurt like the dickens at the time.
Post a Comment