Friday, August 10, 2007

What a week!

We have had a crazy week!
I'll start first of all by announcing that our house is officially under contract! Yea! We are scheduled to close on August 30 and are going out tomorrow to look for a new place in Logan. It's been a long 3 months of trying to keep the house clean,but 4 failed offers later, one finally stuck and we are so excited!
Second, Luke had been feeling a little sick since last Thursday. He had a slight fever, but we were just waiting it out sure that it was just teething. Well, on Sunday he still wasn't feeling any better and I noticed that he had a hard time turning his neck to the left. This made me very worried, because I could recall that a stiff neck and fever = meningitis. I got him an appointment that night and they saw that he had a swollen lymphnode in his neck which could be causing his stiffness. They did a little blood test anyway and his white blood cell counts were way high. They want them under 15 and his was 38. They ended up admitting him to the hospital. Pretty much, in a really quick nutshell, it was 5 nights of lots of blood tests, one spinal tap, a chest x-ray, lots of hospital food, very little sleep and one cranky baby. Luke's fever persisted despite a strong IV antibiotic until Thursday. We had him on Motrin every 6 hours to keep the fever down, but everytime it started to come back up he was so sad and sick. His CRP levels were also very high (14 instead of under one, where they want them), which I guess is indicative of some kind of inflamation.
They did a bunch of tests and we sat around a lot waiting for results to come back while he wasn't getting any better. It was very frustrating as well as emotionally and physically exhausting. In the end, his fever went away Thursday night and hasn't been back. His white counts are back to normal and his CRP is almost there. At the end of it all, they have no idea what caused him to get so sick, but he is feeling much better and they sent us home this afternoon. Thank goodness! We're obviously thrilled that he is doing better and that we have Sam back with us too (he was traded between grandparents all week). It is frustrating that they were not able to know what was wrong with him and that it appears that his recovery would have been the outcome whether we stayed in the hospital or not...there just would have been a lot less poking and trauma for our little guy. I guess you never know, though, and all the stress was worth making sure that he was going to be okay. I put a picture of little Luke in the hospital this week. Poor guy.
As a side note, my running has suffered this week because we've been in the hospital. I've run only 2 miles all week and am scheduled to run 9 miles in the morning. I'm dreading it. I'll let you know how it goes.

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Poor little Luke! We are glad he is better. We've been thinking about him all week! Congrats on your house too-yahoo!

adamf said...

Wow, as a new parent who has yet to experience such things (knock on wood), I was feeling some trauma just reading that. Glad he's better.

Andy Porter said...

We are so glad that Luke is doing better. That was such a scare. Good luck house hunting in Logan!!!
Andy and Joe

Karrissa Winward said...

Hannah- this is Karrissa Winward (Parsons). Anyway, I saw your blog on Ashley's, I know, kind of creepy but it was fun to see what you have been up to. I read that you are moving to Logan- I am so jealous. I love Logan. We just moved from there so I am sure you will love it! Anyway, our blog is www.molapulla.blogspot.com if you want to ever visit!

Russell said...

I'm so sad for him. At least he didn't fall out of a window while he had a fever. The people at the hospital might have blamed that and we all know that nothing bad happens just because your kid nose-dives out a window.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Hannah! How did your race go? I'm dying to see a post! I was totally thinking of you on that day.