After a few months, the plants grew bigger and bigger and started to get some blossoms. Yea! We must be great gardeners. Then, a little while later, the blossoms turned into tomatoes or peppers or cucumbers. Wow! We are doing great! And then, some of the tomatoes even started turning red. Awesome! I was feeling pretty good about the whole process because I had pulled probably 10 tomatoes off that we had eaten and another handfull of peppers. I just must have such a green thumb! Then, I learned that our friends next door have so much ripe produce coming out of their garden that they've started selling it at the weekly Farmer's Market. And, they gave us a couple of their tomatoes and that's when I realized that there is something in the whole process that I've missed.
Theirs is the one on the left.
And, you can't tell from the picture, but mine has some weird spots all over it.
Couldn't they have started in Preschool telling you the truth about this? That it really needs more than dirt, water and sun? That really, you've got to have the right Ph levels in that soil and maybe add some compost or some fertilizer. And you've got to make sure to water just the right amount and that some plants require more sunlight than others. And, that at some point in the maturing, you'r supposed to stop watering so that they can ripen. Stop watering? That goes against everything that I knew. Let's just hope that we never have to rely on our gardening skills to keep us alive someday.

8 comments:
Seriously, teachers should be required to teach kindergartners about Ph levels and compost and watering strategies. :)
At least your garden produced something. When Ben and I planted a garden, we got zip! I think your tomato is rather cute!
I think it's impressive that you at least tried! I've heard growing things from seed is much more difficult than buying a small starter plant too, so good for you! Also I read your updates and they were so fun. Sam is so hillarious. That picture was awesome! Jack is super into spiderman too also for no aparent reason other than that he sees him all over things at the grocery store (he also hasn't seen the show). He can do the hand thing to shoot out webs and everything. It really made me think about marketing influence too.
oh, and to answer your question wheeler farm is in Murray on 9th east and about 60th south.
Maybe you're just growing grape tomatoes or something!
Who likes big fat tomatoes anyway. Small spotty ones taste waaayyyy better.
~Andy
hahahahaa what is that tiny red thing next to the huge tomato...without my glasses or contacts I can barely tell there are two things on the counter! I think the only fault in your teachers is that they didn't tell you not to look at your neighbors plant when you're attempting to make your seed grow by their sure fire method.
I think you learned your lessons well. Our gardens produce just like yours and we have tried for 30 years. I think it is a conspiracy of some sort. There is a secret and nobody is telling US! Oh well, the prophet told us to plant a garden and you definitely did that.GREAT FIRST TRY.
Post a Comment