Monday, March 16, 2009

Going green

Our friends, The Moons, have been drinking green smoothies for a few months now every morning for breakfast. I decided I wanted to give these a try. Mainly, I want to see if my kids will drink them as a way to ensure they get some good leafy greens in their diet. There are lots of different recipes out there, but the main idea is to blend up some combination of fruits with a handful or two of some dark green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, parsley, some have celery) and some water to get it to the desired thickness. Then pour and drink up a cup full of vitamins and minerals!

Well, I tried this for the first time yesterday. Peaches, spinach and bananas. I poured the green concoction into a cup (ahem... added a little spoonful of sugar to the kids' cups...it helps the medicine go down).

"What is this, Mom?"

"It's a magic potion!"

Wide eyes. "Wow!"

"This potion makes you super strong!"

And so they drank it up. With each sip they showed us their muscles getting bigger and bigger as the magic potion took effect. And they continued until their cups were empty and their muscles gigantic.

I was very pleased by the first day of green smoothie drinking!



I was especially grateful that we started the day off this way when we went to Kendall's mom and grandma's houses for dinner later. Upon arriving, the boys started in on a treat bag full of Starburst and Skittles. You know, to tide them over until dinner. We went to the other house for our dinner. Dinner being corned beef and cabbage with carrots which the boys didn't care for. Luke did lick the butter off of the roll he was given though. Then, they followed up their non dinner with a brownie or two. Back at the other grandmas house they finished off their candy bag and washed it all down with some diet, cf Mountain Dew. The night left me remembering why we don't keep things like Mountain dew, candy and brownies readily available at our house.



I mixed up some more potion this morning. All the sugar and empty calories of the previous night needed to be reversed. This time I used a completely different recipe (apples, spinach, orange juice, celery) which didn't go over as well. Sad. But, I will keep trying. Do you have any good green smoothie recipes?

8 comments:

Ashlee said...

Yummy! I want to drink more smoothies. We have a couple that we like but only one that has any greens in it. It's orange juice, mango, frozen blueberries (pretty cheap at costco) and spinach. We like it. If you get any more good ones let me know! I will try the peach/banana one. Thanks for the tip with making the muscles grow too. I am sure that is something Jack could get in to.

Andy Porter said...

Do you have a super killer blender or something?? If I put spinach into my blender it would still LOOK like spinach after it was mixed up. My kids would really have a problem with that. Kudos for the healthy breakfast!

malibumoons said...

YAY! I am so glad that you guys are drinking green smoothies! I promise you will see results if you keep doing it. Here are my favorite recipes:

1 1/2 TBSP flax seed (ground)
8 frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
4 ice cubes
1/2 beet
1/2 avacado
7 sprigs cilantro
**20-30 fresh spinach leaves

So good for you from Dr. Oz:
(I haven't tried this one yet)
1 apple cut up
Juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime
1/2 inch of ginger diced up
chopped celery
chopped cucumber
2 cups of fresh spinach

and this is my number one pick!
1.5 cups water
1/2 can frozen pineapple concentrate (or less, I use like 1/4)

1 small zuchinni, peeled and cut
small handfull of baby carrots
1 celery stalk, washed and cut
1/2 bunch spinach
1/2 bunch parsley
1 cup ice

I love this one cause the only sweetener you have in there is the pineapple juice concentrate and it's the sweetest green smoothie I have had. Try this one, you will like it. so will your boys.

Is kendall drinking them too?

malibumoons said...

sorry that was SOOO long, i just get a little over excited about green smoothies!

Hannah said...

Andy- I just use the blender that goes on my Bosch. It works great when you throw the fruit and a little water in with it.

Sarah- THANKS for the recipes (and the inspiration!) Do you ever make your smoothies the night before and leave them in the fridge? Just wondering if that would work. Kendall will drink them more if we can work something like that out. He leaves before the boys are up the majority of the time, so blending up some smoothies with sleeping kids isn't gonna work. :)

Betsy said...

GROSS!

Lindsi said...

Gross is right! but Diet Mountain Dew, I knew your boys were smart. Just new it!

Kathy said...

Good for you Han. Most greens have too strong of a flavor to be covered up by fruit. Spinach is the only one that can be used successfully I think. I havent tried zuccini though. That flavor is pretty mild. Talking about it makes my mouth water. Love you and all those boys.