Monday, June 1, 2009

Spinach


Do you have spinach coming out of your garden? We do! I thought I'd share some of our favorite spinach recipes for those of you trying to figure out what to do with all of your spinach.
1. Creamy Spinach Penne This is a great pasta dish that my whole family loves! A couple of things...you can get a jar of roasted red peppers at Dollar Tree. Don't go spending $5 at the regular grosh. Or you can use some grape tomatoes if you're not into the peppers. Also, we love Ronzoni's Smart Taste pastas. It is white pasta (so it still tastes good), but it has 3 times the fiber (6g per serving) and added calcium...and, it's not much more moolah than your regular stuff.
2. Spinach Rice Casserole This one is yummy, but I kinda like it more in cold weather. It cooks 35-40 minutes in the oven = hot house on a hot day...not my favorite thing.
3. Savory Bean and Spinach Soup In the crockpot! Yea! This is DE-licious and who doesn't like crockpot meals? A few notes on this one...I don't use 8 cups of spinach. I've never measured, but I bet it's more like 4 or 5. Also, chicken broth works fine if you don't have veggie broth. And I never have tomato puree, so I've always used a can of tomato sauce and that works fine. If you really want to impress, make some foccacia bread to go with this. YUM!! My friend Kate has an excellent recipe for this on her blog, here.
4. Spinach and Apple salad. So simple, So yummy. I don't know where I got this one. I just have it written down. Here it goes...
4 c. torn, fresh spinach
1 small red apple, sliced (I sometimes use a little more apple)

Dressing...
1/3 c. mayo
4 t. white vinegar
4 -5t. sugar
1/4 t. celery salt (opt) (I've never used this)
1/8- 1/4 t. pepper

Whisk together. Let stand for 10 minutes (this is important). Whisk again until sugar is dissolved.

Combine the spinach and apple and drizzle on the dressing. Yum! Hmm...in fact, I think I'm going to make this with dinner tonight.
5. Green smoothies! We still have these a few times a week for breakfast. My boys need them when their muscles are "shrinking" and they need to get strong again. :) Their favorites are...

Strawberry banana
about 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
a whole large banana
a big handful of spinach (maybe a cup and a half?)
water until it's your desired thickness
Just throw it all in the blender and turn it on. If it tastes like it needs more strawberry or banana, then just throw it in. Yum!


Peach banana

Same thing except peaches instead of strawberries. I use a whole can of peaches or probably 2 fresh peaches.

Yea for spinach!

6 comments:

stubz said...

thanks Hannah! I love spinach salads and I've got to try the green smoothie. I'll be trying some new things this week (woo-hoo)! You sure are an active blogger lately - I'm likin' it!

Sarah said...

Thanks Hannah. I think I'll make a smoothie for the kids tomorrow for breakfast!

malibumoons said...

Okay, so I ALWAYS have spinach in my fridge ever since the smoothies.
I am getting sick of it though, this was just what I needed to get me motivated again. Thanks!

Ashlee said...

Oh bless your heart for posting this! I am constantly looking for good spinach recipes, and I certainly don't have enough. I am going to be trying ALL of these... starting with the peach/banana smoothie. Yum!

Valerie said...

I'm going to try the spinach salad! YUM! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Love the new background and header. I'm going to try some of the spinach stuff- it grows so easy in a garden.