
Fast forward to the next morning. We had just picked Sammy up from school. While still in the van at home, I see Sam holding a bright orange koosh ball.
I stop.
Did I buy that yesterday?
I think.
I didn't.
I gave it to Brigg to hold and that's the last memory or thought I had on the subject.
"Sam, where did you get that? How did we get that in our van?"
Silence. Guilty looks.
"Sam? How did that get into our van? I didn't buy that at Hobby lobby yesterday."
More guilty looks and finally, "I put it in my pocket."
Sam and I went up to his room and had a chat about stealing and why it's wrong. We decided he needed to fix it, so he started with a prayer. "Dear Heavenly Father, I'm really sorry I stole the ball. Please forgive me....I'm really sorry...." It was a very sweet prayer.
Then, he had to take a nap. Between thievery and the report back from his teacher on Sam's behavior that day, I decided a nap was in order. I needed some time too. I was really thinking I may have a delinquent on my hands...hitting kids at school, stealing from the store. He's only 4, right? We just need to fix these things while they're easier, I thought.
So, after the nap, we pulled some more money out of Sam's bank, put the koosh ball back in his pocket and headed to Hobby Lobby again. Sam walked up to the register and handed her the ball.
"I stole this and I'm sorry." He handed her a bunch of nickels and we paid for the stolen loot. I think he gets it. I hope he gets it.
Now, we just have to figure out how to get him to keep his hands to himself....
2 comments:
Being a parent is not a job for wooses (is that how you spell that?). You did a good job following through on the hard stuff. You were VERY smart to take a nap first. You always were a wise child. Love you.
He's a sweet boy, don't worry- he's going to be just fine- how could he not with you for a mom?
Post a Comment