Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry.

Christmas was wonderful today. The morning went well....the kids were, of course, beyond excited to open presents. Children have such an energy about them...especially on a day like Christmas. It's contagious and I couldn't help feeling the anticipation as well.

We were a little nervous because the main thing the boys keep asking for is a Buzz Lightyear that pops out its wings. We just bought the boys a Buzz Lightyear toy a few months ago and there's no way we were going to buy another one, just to upgrade. So, I was worried this morning that there would be disappointment about the lack of a Buzz. Worried because I wanted them to be happy. Also, because I knew it would make me mad if they opened what they got and then wanted more. Well, I was super pleased with how everything went! Everyone seemed genuinely happy and excited for their gifts. No word of Buzz Lightyear with the pop out wings. That makes me happy for two reasons. One, because they showed no ingratitude. Second, because they really like their presents. Yea!

We filled the next few hours with
eating treats out of the stocking,
taking toys out of their packaging (is it just me or is this the single most time consuming part of Christmas as a whole?),
racing cars,
building train tracks,
doing a lite brite picture that we thought was a whale the entire time until we sat back and looked at it completed....it was a snail.
Sam played with his little dollar store dart gun....why do we ever shop anywhere but the Dollar Tree?(fast forward 3 hours....the treasured dollar store gun is broken in three pieces....that's why we don't do all our shopping at the Dollar Tree),
cleaning up wrapping paper and boxes,
making breakfast (German Pancakes) that no one eats because they've filled up on chips and fruit snacks and apparently almost an entire roll of Bubble tape. Swallowed.

And as I say the breakfast prayer, I feel an overwhelming gratitude for this morning. For this special time we get to spend together as a family. I'm grateful for three healthy boys sitting side by side at the breakfast table....healthy, strong, smart, happy. I feel so grateful that we can provide a life for them that results in happiness. Not because we were able to buy them presents, but because they are loved and taught and cherished and worried over and prayed about. And, most importantly, because we have a Heavenly Father who is their Father too. Who loves them and helps us not screw it up completely. I feel His love for them, especially in little moments like this one at the breakfast table on Christmas morning. And I feel His love for me and I see His hand and influence pouring over our life. And I know that Jesus Christ is real. And that He really was born on earth and lived and died for us.

The rest of the day we spent with family. Lots more presents and food. Lots of love was spread around and gratitude's shared. And at the end of the day, I'm happy for the opportunity to express my love to family through gifts. I'm grateful for the opportunity to think of each person individually and find them something they'd like. But, I can guarantee I won't remember what was given or got for long. I only want to remember this....



.



Three super boys. Snug in their beds. And for the absolute honor I feel to be able to raise them and to share memories with them like this one has been ...a wonderful Christmas day.

6 comments:

Andy Porter said...

I can't help but laugh that a whole roll of bubble tape was swallowed. he he he. Thanks for the wonderful Christmas post! Luke's smile is priceless. Is he really asleep in that pic? Too cute!

Tyler and Lisa said...

That was a really sweet post. You have a darling family. We wish we could see you all more often.

Hannah said...

Ha ha. No. Luke wasn't quite asleep when i went into his room. But it's cute, yeah?

Valerie said...

How sweet that will all the hustle and bustle of a Christmas day with kids that you can feel that gratitude and love.

I agree about opening the toys and dealing with boxes. Do Barbies really need 20 rubber bands around there body and hair?

Anonymous said...

Your description of the breakfast table...perfectly put into words the joy we sometimes feel as mothers. Sounds like it was wonderful-fun, happy, and just as it should be.

The Schofields said...

Wow! You guys have had such a busy December! I didn't know you gusy were planning a trip to Europe! That's so cool. Frank & I have dreams of going there someday! We love and miss you guys!