Last year, Kendall and I did the Bear Lake Brawl Triathlon. This year, I decided to work on growing a baby instead. But, Kendall signed up to do the triathlon again. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Little did we know how busy the summer would become with a couple of tough and demanding classes, a million things around the house and yard, etc, etc. The bottom line is, as good as his intentions were, training for the Triathlon came in way low on the priority list. As a result, I think Kendall ran 4 times, swam once and biked twice the whole summer. Really.
Then, it was the week of the race and Kendall was nervous and not prepared. To make matters worse, in his excitement this Spring to sign up, he recruited a number of people from work and his stepdad to sign up and do it too! So, he was feeling extra bad about the fact that training was an impossibility this summer and now he had an audience of people that he had convinced to run. There was definitely no backing down.
Saturday came. Kendall had gone up with his work buddies earlier. The boys and I packed up and headed to good 'ol Garden City to cheer him on (and, secretly, I was making sure he didn't drown or something). Well, the end of the story is that he did it! The whole darn thing. He got charlie horses in both calves at the end of the swim that stayed cramped up a good 5 minutes and made the run through the sand to transition horrible. Other than that, though, his race went without a hitch and, will you believe that his time was only 4 minutes longer than last year? It makes us feel pretty bad about our last year's times and also makes all those months of training feel a little useless, eh? Kendall is super sore...especially his calves...and has been walking around like an old man. But, we're proud of him for sticking it out and finishing! The boys think their dad is awesome and super fast and are pretty sure that he won.
 |
Time for the bike! His calves hurt!
|
 |
Waiting on the sides. And playing in the sand...
|
 |
Here he comes, running in for the Finish!
|
 |
| Done! |
4 comments:
I have done that triathlon...its such a fun one! I miss it..yay for K!
HOLY COW!! I can't believe he did that without much training!! That is such an accomplishment! I totally would have bagged it! Great job!
Oh, and well done on the baby growing Hannah.
Way to go Kendall! I've got to do one of those someday soon! Hannah, you are so close, only 6 more weeks to go!
Post a Comment