Friday, December 3, 2010

Trained?

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I told you Brigg was potty training and doing great?


Yeah. Well, he was doing awesome and wearing underwear and the whole bit for about 2 weeks.

Then, he just decided to not do it anymore.  We started putting pullups on because I was getting sick of cleaning out underwear.  Then, eventually, we have just started putting diapers on him. I don't know what happened or why.  I know he is struggling the most with having Dodge around and constantly acts like a baby....wants to be wrapped up in a blanket and held and pretends to have a binky and wants a sippy cup with milk to drink.  I just don't know what to do with a child that is capable of being potty trained, but just doesn't have the will anymore.  Just give up until he decides he's ready to do it again?   We bribe him and he'll go pee a couple of times a day and sometimes poop too to get his chocolate chips or tattoo gum...but his consistency is completely gone.

What do I do?

4 comments:

Michelle Merrill said...

I had this problem with a couple of my kids. The doctor said to stop trying anything for two months. After that time, go back in full force. It will all be new to him again and hopefully more motivating. Good luck!

Andy Porter said...

That happens a lot when you have a new baby or a big change. I would suggest just waiting a while. It's so much easier when both of you feel up to it.

adamf said...

I agree with Michelle and Andy, same thing happened with L and we ended up putting it back a 2-3 months and now it's fine.

Not that it solves anything, but it also helps to understand the function of his behavior, as you seem to already based on your post. On top of kids this age trying to establish a sense of autonomy that will guide them for the rest of their lives, kids in the 2nd or 3rd spot often get lost in the family system. Anything that he can do to be found, to connect, to be seen, to have some autonomy, he'll be pulled to do it, chocolate chips notwithstanding.

Perhaps it's not as much of a matter of his will to do it or your strategies but you and Kendall working so hard (and doing a great job, I might add!) with a growing family and a busy life (!) and in all that stuff Brigg trying to find his way.

Whoa, sorry about analysis there, haha! :) Miss you guys!

Hannah said...

Adam,
Thanks for the analysis, Doctor. :) Really, I appreciate your professional input here. It helps my patience and compassion when I can really look at what Brigg is dealing with in his life right now.

Thanks Michelle and Andy for the help as well...two super mothers who have been there, done that.