Have I ever told you how much determination this child has?
I have proof....
Exhibit A: One day, back last March, Sam started putting his feet on the wall in the hallway. Kendall said, "I bet you can't touch the ceiling." And so, all day long, Sam climbed up that wall. He climbed and fell and fell and climbed. Then, he'd go have some lunch only to end up back upstairs, climbing the wall. Until....he finally touched it!! Kendall, of course, wasn't home when this happened. So, when Kendall got home, he had to do it again and we were able to snap this picture. If he reaches his hand up from here, he can touch the ceiling!
Exhibit B: I have never posted about him learning to ride a bike, but I need to. It was such a positive experience for us and Sam. One day, in the Spring when he turned 5, Sam came to us and said that everyone knows how to ride a two-wheeler except him. I thought this was funny. Since when did he know or care what 'everyone else' was doing? Anyway, he started really begging Kendall to teach him to ride a two wheeler. The next opportunity we had, Kendall took off his training wheels and began teaching. We both went into this holding our breath and rolling our eyes and hoping that is wasn't a huge disaster.
Sam. Was. Awesome. Did he hop right on and ride perfectly? No, he didn't. But, he was so happily determined and worked so hard! He would ride a straight line and then fall off into the grass. Then, he'd pick up his bike, Kendall would get him steady and he'd ride a bit and fall. Then, he'd pick up his bike and go again. He didn't cry or yell or throw a fit. He just continued on sure that he would get it soon. I took him out a few days later when Kendall was at work. We went back and forth between our house and next door so many times I can't count. He was getting more and more sure of himself and really figuring it out. We did that until he asked to go in for a drink break. After a quick drink of water, he was ready to go again! I'm telling you, we were super impressed and proud of his determination and willingness to work. In no time, he was a pro on this two wheeler.
![]() |
| This is at a bike parade in our neighborhood last summer. He rode this bike until there were holes worn right through the tires. |
Exhibit C: For Christmas, Sam got a pogo stick. He really wanted one, but Kendall and I weren't sure if he'd really be able to use it. At first, it was a single hop and then off. Maybe he could get two hops sometimes, but not much more that. But, he kept at it. He'd come home from school and grab his pogo stick from the garage and start a hoppin'. Today, I took this video of him. Kendall was counting and this is him at over a 100 consecutive bounces.
I'm so proud of Sam's determination! I think it is an admirable trait and I hope he keeps it up!



2 comments:
What an awesome quality. He's not afraid of falling or failing. Way to go SAMMY!!
Wow--it makes you wonder what else he's going to conquer.
Post a Comment