Well, it was only a matter of time. Sam came home from the neighbor's yesterday afternoon with his arm hanging by his side, crying. I learned that he had been attempting a spinning jump off the neighbors trampoline and (surprise!) he landed flat down on his arm on the ground instead. I could tell it really hurt. He was pretty pale and shaking and didn't want to move his arm at all. I didn't want to, but I pulled up his sleeve to get a better look and it definitely looked a little off. I called and got him straight in to the doctor.
His left radius is broken all the way through. We went to an orthopedist today and he says we need to bring him in the morning to get the bone straightened out and a pin put in it. Ugh. They'll cast it in a few days.
Crazy times! Sam's been so brave and I'll be glad to have it all taken care of. I also think he's learned a lesson. He keeps saying, "I never should have done that!". :)
Amen, brotha'!
UPDATE:
Here's the new X-ray complete with pins....
He did a great job in the procedure and acts like getting anesthesia is the coolest thing ever. He just talks about how he just suddenly fell asleep and then woke up later and doesn't remember! He thinks that's awesome. I had him relax and lay on the couch watching TV that day. He kept it up until about 2:00 in the afternoon and then he. was. done! He wanted to go play with friends and run around. :) It's been killing him to have to take it easy with things. He's just been walking the track at recess and mostly staying around home after school.
He doesn't have his real cast on yet...not until next week. Right now, it's just a hard board along the bottom of his arm and then a bandage wrapped around that. I sent a note to school today to excuse him from PE. I even took the other boys in to lunch at his school today, so that I could give Sam some Ibuprofen, check on him and help him with his lunch tray, etc. We went out and walked the track with him at after lunch recess too. About an hour later, I got a call from the school. It was Sam and he was crying a bit and told me that he and another boy were sitting out during PE and Sam was kinda bugging him (following him around), when the other boy turned and squeezed Sam's broken arm with both hands. Can you believe that?! I was just so frustrated with my attempts to keep him away from danger and keep that arm protected and this boy decides to do that. I just felt sick about it and I went right in an picked him up and brought him home. Everyone was nice and apologetic at the school and I know that little boy just wasn't thinking . My boys do things without thinking too sometimes. I called the doctor and he said that, if Sam wasn't hurting, things are probably fine. Thank goodness! I had visions of having to re-straighten the bone or something. Hopefully, all is well. Tuesday is the big casting day and I can't wait to have that hard cast on the whole thing.
Updates....
First cast... over the pins.
This one stayed on for a month. Then, they took it off, took the pins out and put on the second cast!
This one was waterproof, at least. He kept this cast on for 3 more weeks and then, finally, after Christmas, finally got it off!
He has a brace he's supposed to wear when he's out playing for a few weeks. Then, we'll be officially done with this. Phew!



1 comment:
Oh, I feel for ya Hannah. I really do. You are a sweet mom to go in to school and help and to watch over him so well. He'll back to normal soon. So sorry it happened. To you both.
Post a Comment