Sunday, November 18, 2007

new york city!

Kendall and I got to go to New york city for five days alone! Kendall was already in new Jersey for business, so I flew out and met him there and we got to be total tourists in New york City for almost a week. It was such a fun week and I have to say a big thanks to my family and Kendall's mom for taking care of our kids while we were gone.
We stayed in New Jersey and took the train in to New York everyday. We found it to be much cheaper than just staying in New York and it was fun to get the experience of riding the train. Here's a picture of me at Penn Station waiting for our train. We were pros by the time we left.


We did all the typical touristy things and it was a blast! Here are some highlights...

Kendall spotted Whoopie Goldberg and grabbed a photo! (okay, so it's a wax figure from Madame Tussaue's)


This is us at Central Park.


We got some hot dogs off the street but were dispointed at how plain and boring they were. Someone recommended a place called "papaya dogs" and this is where we found a truly loaded hot dog and the fries just came wrapped in a piece of tin foil, which was weird.




We were walking along the pier at Southstreet seaport when we heard and felt a big thud and saw this big bird a few feet in front of us lying on the dock. We came closer and saw that it was a big hawk that had literally dropped straight out of the sky! It was the weirdest thing! It must have knocked itself out because it just laid there for a while, still breathing, but not conscious. It eventaully came to, but couldn't fly. Animal control was supposed to be coming. so bizarre!


This is us at Rockefeller Center.


The New york City skyline from a boat that we took around the whole island.


This is what ground zero looks like these days. It's just a huge construction site while they work on a building and reflection pond and several other things. It was pretty neat to be standing there a try to imagine the two huge buildings, way taller than any of the surrounding ones. And then to picture them falling with really no room to fall. And to see all the buildings around that were inevitably damaged that day. It was neat to go there, it gave to whole thing a new dimension for me...to now have been where it happened.


This is when we hung out with Jerry Seinfeld. We went to the toys R Us in Times Square and he just happened to be there doing some promotion for the Bee Movie, so we hung out for a while. We're buds now. :)


What a fun trip!


And here's our boys at Halloween. We got back that afternoon, so we were able to get them dressed up and out to so some Trick or treating. If you can't tell, Sammy was a Skeleton and Luke was a bee. what cuties!
We took them to the mall which sounded like a great idea until we saw the lame candy they gave out. It was all tootsie rolls, suckers and little hard Halloween candies. So, we left a went to our stake center where some ward was doing a Trunk or Treat. We got a lot better candy there.


5 comments:

Salem said...

That sounds like so much fun!!! I can tell you why you didn't find the best hot dog...that's because they are in Chicago!! I'm serious...you want the best hot dog you've ever eaten...come to Chicago...there's nothing like it! Cute halloween pics!

Andy Porter said...

I am so jealous!! I've always wanted to see a bird drop out of the sky like that. I'm glad you had fun. You guys deserve a good fun break.
Good luck with your upcoming move!
Love,
Andy

Kathryn Cooper said...

Wow you have 2 kids! That's wonderful. This is Kathryn from freshman year! I've been looking through friends' links and found so many friends from BYU. Blogging is great! That would be so awesome to go to NYC and without the kids. My husband and I are hoping to get my parents to watch Tyson while we get away for at least a weekend.

Russell said...

I laughed my head off and Betsy had to sew it back on when I read Andy's comment.

If I was single and non-Mormon and rich, I think I would live in New York so I could go out all night and party at those clubs. I love them. You guys probably went to all the hip spots, didn't you? Yeah, I bet you did. Betsy has some sweet dance moves she does when we're out. Grinding and stuff. I like it.

Abby Marie said...

I didn't know married couples still took cute pictures of themselves in central park. I never read that post for some reason. Don't you have a lot to blog about now with your new house and everything?