We went to Kendall's family Christmas Party last week (a little late for Christmas, I know...) and they have a white elephant game where you give just total gag gifts and funny things. One of the gifts we got was the "eggstractor". No, this isn't some kind of infertility device. This is to help you peel a hardboiled egg. Well, we thought we'd give it a try. This is how it works...
1. Hard boil eggs.

2. Hit the top of the egg on a little pokey thing to make a small hole. Hit the bottom of the egg on the counter just to crack it a little.
3. Position the egg in the hole in the eggstractor.

4. Put the top part over it (a plastic, accordian like piece)

5. Push down firmly one time on the top piece which squishes it down. Magicially, the egg is supposed to pop out the bottom of the hole it was sitting it, completely stripped of it's shell and in perfect condition.


Kendall tried it the first time and, to our amazement, it actually worked! The egg popped out, deshelled and the shell was sitting above it in one empty piece. It was pretty cool! We tried it several more times... a few times it worked and a few times it didn't but, for some reason, it was extremely entertaining. I wasn't very good at it. I couldn't get above it to get a strong downward motion and it ended up just faling apart and the egg flying off onto the ground. We also found that if the egg wasn't in perfect condition (no cracks), it wouldn't work. It made me wonder who thought of this invention. Someone, somewhere saw a real need for this. I wonder if it was someone that ate egg salad on a regular basis or maybe owned a diner that sold egg salad and felt like they needed a faster, cleaner way to peel the egg. Maybe it was someone that just really didn't like the feel of the broken egg shells...like the way some people are with cotton balls. At any rate, at the end of it, we washed it up and put it back in the box for another white elephant or DI trip. Though we are grateful for the entertainment.
8 comments:
Now, if it also peeled oranges, sliced potatoes into fry shape, and helped babies learn to play the piano, it would really be cool. Might even avoid the DI box that way.
Don't be too hasty to find another home for that baby. I would imagine you could generate a mean burst of water and air through the toilet in case of some serious clogging. A man names Alton Brown said that there shouldn't be a single uni-tasker in the kitchen. Everything should have more than one use.
Alton Brown drinks too much caffeine and will probably explode one day while multi-tasking in his kitchen.
Hilarious Hannah! I love the egg peeler step-by-step. Pictures were great! I think you should give this to Bambi for her wedding. I'll take it for you to the Bridal Shower if you want! :)
I have no idea who Alton Brown is, but the peeler-to-plunger idea is not a bad one. :) Ash- great idea! I think Amber might get some entertainment from the eggstractor as well.
Betsy says, "What an absolute waste."
Russell says, "We gotta get one of those!"
O my hilarious. I kind of want one now. I mean, it's not like I eat a ton of eggs, but I think I would eat more if I had one of them. I'll have to show Nate your step by step. He'll get a kick out of it.
I am eggstatic about your egg sheller. I bet it is eggsactly what you wanted. Maybe you can get an eggstra one and send it to us!
Post a Comment