Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Dominican Republic Entry No. 3 (Final)

Things we Did

One of the days in Puerto Plata we did a day excursion out to "Paradise Island" and went snorkeling for a few hours. The island and the water were beautiful! They also took us around in little speedboats and saw the mangrove trees. It was a super fun day, though we both came out of it with sunburns on our backs from being face down in the water snorkeling.

















We caught a bit of the "Carnival". I guess this is a yearly celebration similar to Mardi Gras. We saw the parade which was fun. Here are some of the people...












We didn't do this enough, but the beach was just a few minutes walk from our resort, so we took advantage of a little down time there.




This is just a pretty picture of the golf course inside the resort area.

The Food

I was quite sick of rice and beans and potatoes by the end of this, but I never got sick of all the fresh fruit. Yum! This is some food from a street vendor. Kendall also got some Dominican hot dogs from a vendor which he was really excited about. I can't believe we didn't get a picture...but they are loaded up with cabbage, shredded carrots, ground beef, onions, ketchup and mayo. They come out huge.

We went to one nice restaurant called "Mason de la Cava" or "Table of the Cave". You guessed it...it's inside a cave. It was pretty cool. I had a salad that I quite liked, but the picture is of what Kendall ordered. Looks pretty, huh? But, those circles are slices of raw beef. They were cold and everything. Really weird.



We stayed in the "Casa de huespedes" our last night there...this is at the MTC. It's a place where members visiting the temple can stay. It was just one little room with a few twin beds and a bathroom, but it was the coziest place we stayed the whole time. It was the only time I saw carpet the whole time we were there and the only water that you are allowed to drink from the tap. The church is amazing! We went to the temple before we headed to the airport. I know this looks like a painting or something, but it is actually the picture we took. How pretty!


We also randomly ran into several people that Kendall knew. The husband of one of the people that Kendall baptised worked at the resort. One of the other missionaries out at the same time as Kendall happened to be visiting with his wife and we were on the Teleferico at the same time. We hiked around with them for a while. Also, when we were walking out of the temple parking lot, another missionary (a Dominican) that Kendall loved and lived in the same house with for a while just happened to be walking in. We went to church there too and he saw some members he knew, though all of his baptisms had either moved or weren't there.

And that is more than you ever wanted to know about our trip! :)

3 comments:

Amberlin Gefrom said...

such a fun trip it looks like..maybe I could add this to the places on my list to go!

malibumoons said...

that place is beautiful. how long were you guys actually there? man, you got some funny pics, and beautiful pics.

Sarah said...

Did Kendall actually eat and like that?!?