Saturday, February 21, 2009

Haters

Look.

For all of you who think I totally hate winter...you're wrong. I only mostly hate winter.

Get it right, People.

And to prove it, here are some exceptionally fun things that we've done lately having to do with winter and snow. (See, I can even put "fun" and "winter" in the same sentence and not feel like I'm lying).
Check it out...

First, we had a snowstorm this week that brought in PERFECT building snow...nice and wet and formable. (Is that a word?) Anyway, Kendall got home from work and had to play in the snow before it froze into cement type snow or melted away into water...type...snow? So, even though it was almost 7:00 and, therefore, completely dark outside, the boys all bundled up, turned on the porch light and headed into the backyard. They had a blast! I have to say that Luke likes playing in the snow MUCH better this year than last. So, they built and dug and rolled around and came out with a few creations....





Then, yesterday, we went to a place called "Hardware Ranch". Apparently, every winter for eons they have been putting tons (literally) of hay out every morning and hundreds of elk come down out of the mountains to eat. And then later in the day, the elk walk off and away only to come back the next day for food. It's really pretty cool! They do this December through March as a wildlife preservation thing. During those months, you can go, throw a little money at the people and get a ticket for a little sleigh ride right by these Elk grazing. There really were hundreds of them and on the mountain just behind we could see what I would have guessed to be snowmobile tracks but were actually the tracks of these hundreds of elk heading back into the mountain and then back down for food. It was really neat.









The boys had a really good time. They especially liked pointing out the differences between the horse poop and the elk poop on the ground as we passed it.

4 comments:

adamf said...

Yeah, who doesn't like pointing out poop differences? Good times. Personally, when I was younger (okay maybe slightly younger) I wondered why cow poop and deer poop looked SOOO different, considering they both eat grass. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Andy Porter said...

I can't believe how much snow you're still getting!!

Abby Marie said...

What's wrong with hating winter? I hate winter and I'm proud to say it. Oh and in the 2nd picture of you and Brigg you look like an Angel

The Schofields said...

You guys do so many fun family outdoor things! WE've been here 9 years, and have yet to go to Hardware Ranch. I'm such a wuss when it gets too cold! Glad to know you have a blog too!