Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bed Redo

Brigg's room has been in need of some help. I finally got the gusto up to work on it. I will post pictures of the whole room after we get the finishing touches (ahem, the chair rail) done. But, I will post about this bed redo I did for the room...

Our neighbors accross the street just moved. Kendall helped them load up and they had these 2 twin beds (that can stack into bunk beds) that they were giving to DI. Kendall asked if we could just take them off their hands instead (thanks Kendra and Frank!). They were painted cute, but weren't quite what I wanted in his newly done room. Here's a look...


I decided I wanted to try spray painting. I see blogs where people just spray paint everything and I wanted to give it a try. So, I went to Home Depot and to the spray paint aisle. Did you know how many different colors of spray paint there are? I was amazed! I was just going to do the bed in black, but then I saw this color...

I LOVE this color! It made me remember this sidetable I saw on Pottery Barn website. I stared and stared at the can trying to decide if I was brave enough to do the bed in blue. Finally, i bought the blue....and the black...to stew over it more at home. I started off sanding it all down. This little thing came in really handy with this project...

After I sanded them and wiped them down, I used white spray primer over the whole thing - especially over the blue and red parts( I was trying to follow these tips from a blogger that spray paints everything and it always looks great)....

Then I sprayed a little bit of the blue on to see what I thought. I stared at it and stared at it again...trying to see if I had the nerve to keep it blue. Black is so much safer, ya know? Finally, I decided to just go for it (With the thought that I could always do it black if I wanted to at the end). So, I sprayed the whole thing in blue. But, it still didn't love it. I was reaching for the black, when I decided maybe it just needed some distressing. I used my sander and sanded the edges like crazy. Then, I even decided to bang it up a little with a hammer and a wrench (I could still cover it up with black, right?) I thought this would be fun, but it stressed me out. How was I supposed to do this without making it look like I just hit it with a hammer and a wrench? Anyway, I did it and I think it turned out okay. Then, I brushed on some dark stain and then wiped it off, trying to leave more in the cracks. I have to say...after deliberating for days... I LOVE the finished product.
Take a look....
Now, I just need to find some bedding, put up the chair rails and then I'll be ready to put these up on the wall.... (Remember I got this idea here.)
And I'm currently checking KSL and craigslist every five minutes for a dresser. Solid wood, skinnier and shorter (you know, like a 4 or 5 drawer kind) , that I can redo if necessary. Oh how I wish I lived in SLC sometimes. I would have had a dresser a week ago. Nothing ever is posted in Logan.
What do you think of the bed? The other one will just be going into storage for now, until we need it someday.
Oh. And in case you care, I loved using the spray paint. It was fast! Which is good for people with no patience for things like painting (or mowing the lawn...back and forth, back and forth...ugh) And as long as you follow those tips (mainly doing more, lighter coats to prevent dripping), I think it's great. Another FYI... This project cost me $13.
PS: Did you notice our nice, green grass? I don't know if I ever mentioned that we had a sprinkler system put in this Spring. It was such a good decision.... we just smile everytime we wake up to the sound of the sprinklers on outside. The grass is being watered while we sleep? What a beautiful thing!

10 comments:

cassie said...

oh i think that bed is so cute!!! i am totally jealous and love it!!! SO CUTE!!! i might steal this idea one day...hehe you know when riley is ready to move on to a big girl bed.

Andy Porter said...

It turned out so dang cute!!! I love the color and it looks so great with the stain!!

Betsy said...

I'm jealous about those free beds!

Sarah said...

It looks great Han! I love the color too.

Andy Porter said...

I linked to this on my blog. I hope you don't mind. Let me know if you'd like to to take it off!

ashlan said...

I don't know you but came across your blog from another and can I say Love it! The DI sells new unfinshed dressers for about $100 not as cheap as KSL. Find a friend who will go pick one up in the SL area for you and hold on to it until you can come pick one up.

Roeshel said...

Wow - the bed is beautiful! I love it! Great job!

I'm new to your blog - nice to "meet" you!

Have a fabulous weekend!
Roeshel

whitneyingram said...

I love it! You did a great job! My mother is the master of refinishing anything and it seems like you are on your way. It probably feels so satisfying. Nice work!

Abby Marie said...

For the first 5 times I read your title I thought it said Bed Rodeo and I couldn't figure out why you called your post that. I LOVE the bed it's so cute. Good work big sister.

Ashlee said...

I'm so impressed with you right now it's ridiculous! That turned out SO great! Way to be daring with your color choice. I think it payed off!