Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Cabinet

There's something wrong with my bathroom....
Do you see it?

That's right...it's a MESS! (And I may or may not have taken a few things off the counter even to take this picture.) Our counter is overloaded with stuff because there is no overhead cupboard space in this bathroom at all. Those little drawers down there are way too easy for the short people in our house to get into, so anything that is important, messy or could be dangerous (medicine, razors, etc) end up piled in that basket up top.
No more, people! Because I found this at a yard sale for $5.....


That's right....beautiful frosted glass with teal and pink flowers straight out of 1991. And the sticker that came with it never quite got scraped off of it either. I know it's not a great piece...the doors are solid wood, but the rest is particle board. It's the kind they sell by the truckload at Lowe's, but it was $5 and we've been needing it.

So, I got out my leftover textured wallpaper from Brigg's room redo (which is getting it's finishing touches and will be posted soon) and just wallpapered right over that glass. Then, I got some Heirloom White (Satin finish) spray paint and went to town. Oh...actually I used a white spray primer first, which I had leftover from the bed.

Then, I did just a little sanding around the edges, of the doors especially. Today I went to Hobby Lobby and got some new knobs (99 cents each!) and here is the finished product....

I've got to learn how to take better pictures. Can you even see the sanded edges in this picture? And the knobs look like a couple of airplanes flying into eachother.

Really, I took like 15 pictures trying to get a better shot.

Here's a close up of the knobs and you can see the distressing better behind them too. I love these knobs. I think they give the cabinet some needed character.

Now I just need my hubby to help me get it on the wall and we are ready for a clean start (literally)in our bathroom!


I'm participating in Creative Cats Tuesday.

9 comments:

Andy Porter said...

OH MY GOSH!! I had to look up a couple of times to make sure that was the SAME thing. It looks sooo good now!! I love your wall paper and what a great idea to use it on furniture!!! Bead board is kind of a pain to cut. I'm excited to steal that idea sometime. I'll put you on the rsvp list just in case you can make it to the market...If you want to make a few things to sell you can leave them with me {{hint hint}}.

stubz said...

I have to say I'm very impressed with your creativity! Amazing! Impressive! Wow! Look at you go girl!

Tiffany said...

WOW!!! That is incredible! I feel so inspired! Thanks for sharing.

Abby Watson said...

where did you get that picture of your family on top? It's so cute!

Stephanie said...

I LOVE it, I wouldn't have thought of the wall paper, I would've just thought, "oh, ugly glass" and that would be the end of it. Way to go!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Very impressive! I love d that you wall papered right over the glass... you cannot tell! Great job!

Unknown said...

That's so awesome!!! You're so creative and smart using things you can redo:) Come do my house:)

The Schofields said...

Your family pic is so adorable! You are so very talented! The cabinet is awesome!

Lindsi said...

Is this for real?

You little craftosaurus rex. Make me one. Please.