Last Spring, as all the snow melted away, we noticed what looked like a road map....lots of winding streets, dug out of several areas of our yard. This picture will show you what I mean...
We learned that the nasty culprit of all this damage to our lawn was a little rodent called a vole. See below.
And as the Spring pressed on, we became very familiar with the look of these little (but adorable!) devils, because our cat Cougar would go hunting at night and leave the deceased prey on the back porch for me to pick up with a shovel and throw in the garbage.
This fall, we took some precautions to try and lessen the chance of our yard being destroyed again. We have been anxiously awaiting the melting of snow to see if it paid off. The other day, Kendall and Sam happened to spot something running across the still snow covered lawn. Kendall recognized it as a vole and somehow captured it, put it in an old peanut jar and brought it in the house. The boys named it.
Meet "Grassy".
Can you see that cute little face peering out of the jar?
Kendall knew that a vole in our yard in the winter was not a good sign and wanted him gone. So, after about an hour of the boys staring at him though the glass, he and the boys went off to release Grassy into a big, farming field near (yet far enough away) our house.
The snow has melted. We have some vole tracks in the front yard. Not nearly as bad as last year, though, and none in the backyard at all. Cougar has started leaving gifts on the porch and the boys are always happy to tell me that it's not Grassy because we let him go far away so Cougar couldn't get him.
And I hope that's true. And I'm glad that our backyard didn't get eaten through.



6 comments:
I'd never even heard the word vole before I moved to Eagle Mountain. As much as they creep me out, that little face looking thru the glass is pretty tender.
I hope you didn't leave it close to my house either! Our dogs have kept our backyard nice too, but we have a mess from them so I don't know what's worse!
I've never even HEARD of these guys! But wow they DO have cute faces! I'm glad you set him free... Corey killed a mouse that came to visit our apartment last year and I felt pretty bad about it :(
A friend told me she had mice in her yard and I totally didn't think they did that. But that's crazy how they tear your yard up.
Is this your first visit from these little guys? I'm so sorry! It was a spring melting snow ritual for us to see where their "highways" were! So sorry! They are down here too, our house is right across from a big field...we didn't get it too bad, but some of our new neighbors did. Putting pvc pipe down before it starts to snow helps them not to burrow into the grass. Good luck! We miss you! I'll be in Logan next Fri/Sat for a conference. Ice cream party at Caspers on Sat at 6 pm! I'm inviting you! Rachel's gonna try to get the word out this week!
That's so nasty. And wait to go, releasing him into someone else's yard so he can tear through their precious crop and then they won't be able to sell their harvest, and they'll probably have to give their farm to the government because they can't pay for food or the mortgage. :)
Post a Comment