Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Volcanoes

Sam came home with this book from the school library this week.



This is the third time this year that he has chosen to check this one out.  Each time, we'll look through and choose an experiment or 2 that looks easy enough.  We've done the whole cornstarch and water mixture thing, put eggs in vinegar, done some sink and float experiments, etc.  This week, he came home talking about making a volcano and immediately got the book out and sped through the pages until he found the one about making your own volcano. I knew this was going to be messy and possibly frustrating....but he was so excited and we had the supplies.

So, we made volcanoes.  And it filled an afternoon.  And the boys thought they were awesome.  We erupted them a few times with different colored food coloring.  They'd run away screaming every time, pretending they were running from real lava.

And then we threw them away later because I really didn't know what else to do with three volcanoes. Maybe I should have just left them outside somewhere?

3 comments:

Andy Porter said...

That looks like so much fun!!

Paige said...

Looks like so much fun. I need to get "experimenting" with my Luke. There has been such a focus on other things for him that Science has been neglected way too much. You have inspired me. Maybe I'll check the same book out from our Library time and time again.

Abby Watson said...

Fuunnnnnnn. I hope the boys always remember doing science experiments with their mom! See you in a few days!