Friday, April 15, 2011

Art Class

I have started doing an art class with 10 little kids in the neighborhood.  If you're thinking..."how are you teaching an art class? You know nothing about art!" Well, you're right.  I found a blog called Pineapple Paintbrush and this cool lady, that does know about art, has shared her knowledge and talents and put together an online art class.  The first time I saw her blog and the pictures of their art projects and Exhibition Night....I just knew I wanted to do it!  Luckily, we had lots of friends nearby that were interested in doing it with us.  Friends make everything more fun!  So, I have spent the last few weeks gathering art supplies and prepping for the class.  All the people involved split the cost of supplies.  I also have one mom helping out in the class each time and another one kindly takes Brigg to play at their house.  We have done 2 classes so far and it has been SO fun! We have 3 more weeks of class and then we'll have an Exhibition Night where family and friends are invited to come view all the pieces from these budding artists.  Can't wait!

I haven't taken many pictures, but here are a few...

These are our drip paintings.  The kids painted stripes with watered down acrylics and then squirted them with a spray bottle. Fun! And thank goodness the rain and snow stopped for an afternoon for this.

Some drip paintings up close.

We learned about Andy Warhol and then colored our own Soup cans with oil pastels.


We also compared and contrasted some landscapes by Monet and then they got to use watercolors and paint their own landscape!


Next week we're learning about Lines. We'll be making a splatter painting, Jackson Polluck style, marble art and an abstract line painting.  This is so fun!

5 comments:

Jon and Melissa said...

So fun to see pictures! Thanks for letting us be in the class, Emma loves it!

Abby Watson said...

Some of those are REALLY good! Wish I could do this too! It sounds so fun. P.S. I'm running 12 miles tomorrow....are you?

Ashlee said...

Oh wow! What a splendid idea! I might be doing an at-home preschool kind of thing with Aly in the fall, and I may have to steal this. WAY cool!

Valerie said...

How fun! I am really interested in doing something like this for the summer. I bet your boys are just loving it!

Andy Porter said...

That is so great!