Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A lot of Lasts and also a first

The other day, Luke had his last day of preschool (this year) and his last day of soccer.  It was also the last day of art class. My schedule felt significantly less full after that day was over. :)

 I love Luke.  He had a lot of fun in Preschool this year.  We just did a joy school type thing with a handful of other mom's around here.  I think Luke loved being able to go off to school by himself.  He also really loved making some friends of his own.  It was a fun group and a fun year.




Soccer was also fun this season. Luke was not interested in actually getting to the ball, but he ran around with the group that was chasing it the whole time.  He'd wave to us and give us and blow us kisses when he passed by.  He loved the snacks after the games were over.  His team was called "the Sting" and he thought that was awesome.  On a side note, Sam didn't play soccer this season.  He opted to try tee ball which will be in June.



 Watching the game.


Here's a story about Luke that I need to write down and remember....

Luke loves to make things out of paper.  He's made a box, a sword and shield, a magicians hat and many other things with paper, scissors and tape.  He seems to really love doing that.  One day, he found this little rock that looked like a diamond. It was from a party Sam had gone to.  Anyway, Luke came to me with the jewel, a little strip of paper he had cut out and some tape. He wanted help making a ring because he was going to ask Katie to marry him.  I helped him tape the ring together and then he said he needed a little box to put it in.  We found a little white plastic box that used to be a travel first aid kit.  Luke put the ring in the box and put it on the shelf in his room.  He wanted to go give it to Katie right away, but I told him that she'd be over for art class in two days and we could wait until then.   I thought he'd forget about it, truthfully.

 The next day, while driving to the store, Luke asks me from the back seat, "What did Daddy say when he asked you to marry him?"  He was totally thinking about this proposal! I told him a few things he said and that was it until the next day when Katie came over for art.  I was at the door greeting the kids as they came and talking to the moms.  I saw Luke and Katie  walking upstairs.  I asked, "where are you going?"
Katie responded, "Luke has something to give me."
I wanted to follow them right upstairs to see what was going to happen, but I had people there and couldn't right away.  I went up a few minutes later and found them standing by Luke's shelf.  "What's going on?" I asked.
Katie says, "Luke gave me a necklace (a plastic beaded one) and a ring.  He says he wants to marry me."
Luke was standing there, looking proud, but then added, "But, she says Henry already kissed her hand twice."  Ha ha.
We then had the art class and the rest of the day.  While tucking Luke into bed that night I asked him, "How did it go with Katie today?"
"Good."
"Yeah? What did you tell her?"
" I love you."
"That's nice.  But, you know, you've got to get older and go on a mission before it'll really be time to marry someone."
"Yeah....but now she knows."
The wisdom! :) "Yeah, you're right."
"Mom? After my mission and before I marry Katie, I need to get one of those....car licenses?"
"Oh. A driver license. Yeah, you'll need one of those."
"Yeah."

On a day of many lasts, this was definitely a first.  Our first engagement! :)  Luke seems to have his life all planned out.  I think that's pretty forward thinking for a four year old.  Love it!

2 comments:

Paige said...

That is just plain awesome. I loved every detail. Still smiling! :)

Abby Watson said...

That was a great story even the second time. A car License. hahahaha.